Great Easter Egg Hunt
**The Great Easter Egg Hunt is Live! Eggs will be refilled with goodies daily! Happy Hunting!**
The Great Easter Egg Hunt is a geocaching activity that is free to all participants. Ten large Easter eggs containing toys and treats will be hidden throughout Churchill County and available to find beginning Saturday, April 3, 2021. The eggs will be available through Sunday, April 11. The first 10 eggs will include clues to locate the Golden Egg which will only be available Saturday, April 10 and Sunday, April 11.
Following the event, the eggs will be replaced with permanent cache containers for the enjoyment of others throughout the year.
What Is Geocaching?
Visit the link below to learn more about how geocaching works and how you can participate!
Finding the Eggs
There are a few ways to locate the first 10 eggs:
1. Geocaching.com or the Geocaching App
The eggs are posted as ’traditional caches’ on geocaching.com. You may download the app or register online for a free account. A paid annual subscription is available through geocaching.com, but is not required to view the Great Easter Egg Hunt caches.
View this video for a how to guide on geocaching!
2. GPS Coordinates
The individual GPS coordinates for the caches will be posted below. You may use the GPS application of your choice to locate the caches and then travel to the site to find them.
We recommend Google Earth or Google Maps.
Global Positioning System (GPS) Coordinates
The GPS coordinates for each egg will be posted here starting at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 3. Geocaching.com will publish the coordinates at approximately the same time on Saturday, April 3 as well. If you want to be first to find the eggs, be prepared to visit this page at 8:00 on 4/3/21 as the geocaching.com listing may not yet be available. You may also setup notification in geocaching.com so that you receive an alert when new caches are published.
The GC links will for each egg will appear in the sidebar to the right and will take you to the Geocaching.com listing for that egg!
The Golden Egg
The Golden Egg is a multi-stage puzzle cache that will be available Saturday, April 10th, and Sunday, April 11th. After Sunday, the Golden Egg will be replaced with be converted to a standard puzzle cache with only a single stage.
In order to locate the Golden Egg, you must first visit the other 10 eggs and retrieve the clues from each egg. You will need those clues to solve the puzzle to locate the Golden Egg.
If you seek the Golden Egg on 4/10 or 4/11, be prepared to spend a couple hours on the hunt. You will have to travel to multiple locations before you find the egg.
The first party to find the Golden Egg will win a $50.00 dollar Visa gift card in addition to the usual toys and candy! See below for tips if you are trying to be the first to find the Golden Egg!
The Golden Egg Puzzle
The Puzzle to locate the Golden Egg will be posted HERE at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 10th and will be available through Sunday, April 11th.
The Puzzle will also be available on The Golden Egg cache page on geocaching.com. The cache page for The Golden Egg will be posted at about the same time as the Puzzle will be posted on this page.
Tips to be First to Find the Golden Egg
1. Find all ten traditional eggs before 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 10th and make certain you have all the clues to decode the Golden Egg Puzzle.
2. Have all your clues together at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 10th and KEEP THEM WITH YOU during the Hunt for the Egg.
3. Be ready to view the puzzle on this webpage at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 10th. Alternatively, be looking on geocaching.com for the published Golden Egg puzzle cache (it will appear as a question mark). You may sign up for new cache notifications on geocaching.com if you are able.
4. You WILL need to be able to use a phone or GPS device to locate GPS coordinates. During the hunt for the Golden Egg, you WILL receive new GPS coordinates that you must travel to. If you have not already learned how to locate coordinates and have just been using geocaching.com, practice that in advance. You can use a simple app like Google Maps and type GPS coordinates directly into the search bar.
**EXAMPLE** - The location of EGG #5 (see sidebar above) would be entered into the Google Maps search bar as:
n 39 27.587 w 118 46.916
LOCATING THE GOLDEN EGG
The GOLDEN EGG will be available to locate on Saturday, April 10 and Sunday, April 11 only.
You will need to solve a puzzle to locate the Golden Egg. To solve the puzzle, you will need a piece of information from each of the 10 traditional eggs.
N 39 30.945
W 118 52.413
N 39 32.900
W 118 51.389
N 39 28.830
W 118 49.230
N 39 29.657
W 118 48.957
N 39 27.587
W 118 46.916
N 39 27.738
W 118 46.344
N 39 27.845
W 118 45.148
N 39 29.052
W 118 46.422
N 39 29.082
W 118 44.416
N 39 23.954
W 118 50.294