On March 29 at approximately 6 p.m. the Churchill County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a male subject that had been shot in the desert approximately two miles east of Highway 50 near Grimes Point. Initial information indicates that a dirt bike rider was struck twice by a bullet that was fired by a target shooter. The rider was hospitalized and the incident remains under investigation.
The Churchill County Sheriff’s Office wants to urge caution and remind everyone of the following safety rules:
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
- Never point your firearm at something you are not intending to shoot.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Never shoot into a pile of rocks or use a boulder as a target stand.
- Use extreme caution in multi-use areas, be aware of each other as we all use our beautiful desert.